If part of your summer routine is to get a funnel cake and caramel popcorn from the local fair or a snack shack by the beach, you just want to save this recipe on how to make a funnel cake.
Even though I don’t think you should give up your annual tradition, you could enjoy this treat of funnel cake more than once a year from the convenience of your kitchen. Funnel cakes are generally a great breakfast food.
Even though you have to fry them, funnel cakes are very easy to make. So, I will share my recipe for making tasty and delicious funnel cake even on your first try (if you follow each step properly). This funnel cake recipe is great for people who have never cooked before, and it’s so easy to make.
Before you understand how to make a funnel cake, you must know what a funnel cake actually is.
So let’s get started!
What Is A Funnel Cake?
A funnel cake is fried dough that you can usually find at fairs and carnivals. It gets its spiral shape when the batter is placed through a funnel into the hot oil. The dough is then fried until it becomes golden brown, and it is usually served with powdered sugar or other toppings. In the United States, it is a traditional food at fairs.
How To Make A Funnel Cake?
To make a delicious Funnel Cake, you must have the proper knowledge of the ingredients that are used for making the cake. If you do not use all the ingredients properly and in the right amount, you may even ruin the taste of your Funnel Cake.
So, let’s first learn the ingredients before learning about the procedure of how to make a Funnel Cake.
Ingredients Used In A Funnel Cake
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of sugar granules
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- Half tsp. salt
- 1 cup of regular milk (236ml) (or more if necessary)
- 2 big eggs, lightly whisked
- Half teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Cooking oil made from plants
- Powdered sugar to cover funnel cakes with
These are the ingredients that you must use to make your funnel cake tasty and delicious. The ingredients I have used in making funnel cake are easily available in every kitchen, so you don’t have to worry about shopping for ingredients for making funnel cake.
Recommended Equipment To Make Funnel Cake
- Mixing bowl
- Heavy-bottomed pot
- Measuring cup with a spout
These are the equipment that I have used while making a delicious and tasty funnel cake.
Now that you know the ingredients and equipment to make the funnel cake, let’s move to the procedure of how to make a funnel cake.
Procedure or Instructions To Make A Funnel Cake
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl until everything is well mixed.
- Mix the milk, eggs, and vanilla extract (if you’re using it) in a separate bowl until the mixture is smooth.
- Slowly add the mixture made in the first step to the mixture made in the second step while mixing. Stir until the mixture is smooth and mixed. Then set it aside.
- Put about 2 to 3 inches of vegetable oil in a medium-sized saucepan. Set the pan on the stove over medium-low heat and put a candy thermometer in it. Make sure the tip of the thermometer is in the middle of the oil and not hitting the bottom, or it will read hotter than the oil really is. Heat the oil to 370-375F (187-190C).
- Once the oil is hot, put about ⅓ – ½ of the batter into a measuring cup used for liquids. Slowly pour a thin stream of batter into the oil while mixing and crossing the batter over itself. Fry each side for about 90 seconds or until it becomes golden brown, then move it to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top and serve hot.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the batter, ensuring the oil returns to the right temperature between each batch.
Now that you know how to make a funnel cake, here are some tips that you must follow to make your funnel cake more tasty and delicious,
You should also try our recipe for Red Velvet cake by reading our other blog, How To Make A Delicious Red Velvet Cake.
Tips To Follow
- For Milk
If your batter is too thick, add as much milk as you need until it is thin enough to pour. Some people have needed to add as much as 1/2 to 3/4 cup of milk to the batter.
- With funnel
Obviously, you can use a funnel if you have one. You will need a clean funnel with a 1/2-inch hole. Fill the funnel with 1/3 to 1/2 cup of batter. Plug the bottom of the funnel with your finger. Hold the funnel over the oil, take your finger off, and move the funnel in a circle or crisscross pattern until all the batter is in the oil.
Stainless Steel Funnel
- Material Stainless Steel
- Brand Walfos
- Color 3pcs funnel 5.7+4.9+4.1 inch
- Capacity 10.4 Liters
In this blog, I have provided the procedure of how to make a funnel cake, along with the ingredients and the types of equipment used for making it.
There are 7 simple steps to making a delicious funnel cake in your home kitchen without any hustle and bustle.
If you follow this recipe step-by-step properly, you can even make the delicious funnel cake on your first try, no matter if you are a beginner or an expert in cooking.
If you have any questions or queries on how to make a funnel cake, please let us know through comments.
Are funnel cake mix and pancake mix the same thing?
Pancake mix and funnel cake mix are pretty much the same thing. So, yes, you can definitely use pancake mix to make funnel cakes.
What is the best oil for making funnel cakes?
In my funnel cake recipe, I say to use a neutral oil. Canola, peanut, or vegetable oil all work well for this recipe. I use these oils for frying everything from apple cakes to fried pickles.